Monday, January 30, 2012

Clean Eating - Pasta Sauce

Day 28: Have I mentioned how much I love a good pasta sauce? I found a recipe that is the best. I use it for everything. I make a pasta bake with organic penne pasta, mild turkey sausage, sauce and a small amount of Monterrey jack cheese. I use it for pizza sauce and just good old spaghetti. I have added broccoli or spinach to change it up. It is the easiest recipe ever.

Ingredients

  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 cup diced onions
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped garlic
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
  • 2 (15-ounce) cans tomato sauce
  • 1/2 (6-ounce) can  tomato paste
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
 

Directions

Heat the olive oil in a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until softened and translucent, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, and tomato paste. Season the sauce with the basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally.

At this point I let the sauce cool. When the sauce is cool, I put the sauce in freezer containers (about 4) and freeze until I am ready to use.

i hope you enjoy this sauce as much as we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment