Monday, January 9, 2012

Marathon Training- Triathlon fun!

Day 15: Today is a cross training day, so I headed to the pool. I have not swam in a couple of months. I was so out of shape. I have really missed my swim time. I am making a promise to myself to get back into the water at least twice a week.

Last year I was talked into a triathlon. Just the thought of it scared me to death. I knew I could run and I knew I could bike, but swim? No way.  I had never swam the full length of a pool in my life! Well.. I decided to dive right in. I found that there was a class at my local YMCA and decided to join. What an awesome class! I can not begin to tell you how much I learned. The instructor Muriel really is the best. She was so patient with me. Swimming is a bit difficult for me because I run. I breath like a runner in the pool. Not good. Muriel taught me to breath in the pool, and had me swimming in no time. When we got closer to the day of the race, Muriel and a couple of classmates met at the lake we would swim in. I am so grateful for this. We did simulated starts, swam the distance. They crowded me and gave me the confidence I needed to make it to the finish line.

Race day I felt good, but I was still so very nervous. Yes, I swam, was it my best swim? No, but I learned so much. Especially what I need to do to become a better athlete.The best part was seeing my classmates there racing right along with me. All accomplishing the goals we had set for ourselves!

Will I do another triathlon? I hope to. I would certainly like to beat my swim time!


No comments:

Post a Comment