Friday, January 13, 2012

Marathon Training-Rest Day

Day 19: Rest day! Why would she be so excited about a rest day you are ask yourself? Well, I will tell you. It is because Friday is the day I chose to truly rest and take care of myself.

Friday is the day I choose to do things such as, visit my chiropractor, get a massage or even a pedicure for my tired feet. The possibilities for a rest day are endless.

Why is a rest day so important?

Your muscles actually break down during the exercise process. If you are in constant motion, you are not giving your muscles time rebuild, thus you are not gaining strength.

Overuse can lead to injury. How many times have you heard this? I can share with you my own story of hip pain due to overuse. I could not run for several weeks after running 7 days a week. I had to scale back and realize it was only going to get worse if I did not give my body the rest it needed.

Did you know that giving your body the rest it needs can lead to weight loss? It is true if you give your body the rest that it needs, The muscles can rebuild and burn more fat. The more lean muscle mass a person has, the more fat they are able to burn. By allowing muscles to repair, you can increase lean muscle, therefore burn more fat.

If you're working out all of the time you also risk burn out. How many people do you know that work out like crazy the month of January, and can not even force themselves to look at the workout gear come February? I do not want my workouts to become a chore, So taking that rest day for me actually has me looking forward to the next days workout.

The amount of time you take off is up to you. I typically take one day a week off completely free of any kind of physical activity. I do suggest you listen to your body. It will let you know what it needs.

My advice to you, give your body the break it needs. You will be so glad you did and you will see the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment