Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Marathon Training: Knowing When To Take A Break!

Days 43: I have to admit today is a really hard day for me.. My mind says " Hooray I get to run six miles, swim and bike! My body says NO WAY! So, what is a girl to do? I am going to listen to my body and take the day off.

I am listening to my body because it knows best. By listening, I am avoiding injury and keeping exercise enjoyable.

We all know, I love to run and would hate to stop due to injury or pain. Yesterday I had a really great run but when I finished I was a bit uncomfortable. I was not sure why.

I tend to baby my left hip. At the age of four I stepped off of a curb and was struck by a car, breaking my right leg and fracturing my pelvis (now you know why I am so thrilled to be running)! My left hip has bothered me off and on throughout my adult years, because I put most of my weight on it to take care of my right leg. This also affects my spine and shoulders as one leg is a bit shorter than the other.

I love to be active. I  hope to be able to run for many more years. I can assure you I will listen to my body and when it tells me to take a break, I will!

So, Here is to moving my schedule around. I am going to run those six miles tomorrow, rest assured!











No comments:

Post a Comment