Wednesday, January 8, 2014

My Road to Recovery

 Where to begin....Summer 2012, I was in the best shape of my life. I trained harder than I had ever trained in my life. I had run a marathon in April, participated in my second triathlon, eating amazing food and feeling at the top of my game. 
During my triathlon something happened. I could not swim to save my life. I felt just off and performed horribly.... I finished after all of my friends. This NEVER happens. Things just got worse from there. During a trail run I almost collapsed. Very scary. So began my nightmare.... I could not think straight. Hot flashes, panic, anxiety, nausea, hair loss and absolutely no desire to take care of myself. I did not sleep more than an hour a night for over a month. My family began to worry. I tried meeting with my doctor. only to be prescribed medication and told I needed to see a counselor (which I did). After a few months I was over it. I was sane enough to know I could not live this way. 
I decided to find a new doctor. I wanted a female doctor, a doctor who would understand what I was going through. Now, mind you I have loved every male doctor I have ever had. But, it was time for a change. She took one look and at me and said "Oh honey, you do not feel well." We talked for quite some time. For the first time I felt as though someone was really listening to  me. 
She took me back for an immediate ultrasound and discovered two very large tumors. I knew I had two small ones from a previous appointment. But, apparently they doubled in size in less than a year. The verdict, a hysterectomy as soon as possible. They were the size of a six month fetus.... Bad news... My new doctor was retiring. Good news, she introduced me to an amazing doctor/surgeon. I credited them both with saving my life. Thank goodness the tumors were noncancerous.
It has been almost a year since the surgery and I am now on the road to recovery. All of the crazy symptoms are gone and life is gradually returning to normal. I am so excited for the new year as we are eating clean and I am beginning to train again and can see a marathon and possibly another triathlon in my future.

I am so thankful and so very grateful for my family, friends and great Dr.'s for taking care of me. 

I hope you all join me on my journey to recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment